Today, all you newbies to the SUP arena, DECLARE YOUR INDEPENDANCE and become a competent member of the SUP community. Learn these basic tips for SUP. For those that have been at it for a while…teach a new person some of the basic safety fundamentals to our sport.
Whether you are a seasoned paddleboarder or new to the activity, here are some other tips when it comes to using stand-up paddleboards.
1. Wear a lifejacket and carry a whistle
2. Be a competent swimmer
3. Know how to self rescue
4. Know how to tow another board
5. Know the local regulations and navigation rules
6. Understand the elements and hazards – winds, tidal ranges, current, terrain
7. Know when to wear a leash
8. Be defensive – don’t go where you aren’t supposed to be and avoid other swimmers, boaters, paddleboards
9. Use proper blade angle to be the most efficient paddle boarder
10. Take a safety course
Take it to the next level and become a WPA Certified Instructor…and you can live and breath all the above, and more…and help grow the sport in the right way.
If you’re not sure where you are as a SUP surfer…you can always take the KOOK TEST!
And remember… have fun and be safe! Happy July 4th America!
-The Paddle Dude